- Study / Writing Group! Every Friday, 12:30-2:30, at the Burien Library, upstairs in the teen section. Bring your college essays, your poetry, your short stories, whatever you’re working on for fun or for school!
- Check out my YouTube channel for help with writing essays or tricky grammar issues, like “Verb Tense Agreement” or “Run-On Sentences”. They are low-tech but helpful! Dawn Claflin
Writers need to read, a lot, in the genre they write. So, poets need to read poetry; essayists need to read essays.
Beyond that, here are some places I have found inspiration and guidance.
On How to Write:
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (about writing in general)
- Writer for Hire by Kelly James-Enger (about freelancing)
- This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett (includes excellent sample essays)
- On Writing by Stephen King
(Some of the many) authors I love, in no particular order:
- John Green (ok, who doesn’t, but I was a nerdfighter before I even knew he wrote books!)
- Francisco X. Stork
- Sara Zarr
- Melina Marchetta
- A. S. King
- Jandy Nelson
- Sara Dessen
- Billy Collins
- Margaret Atwood
- David Duncan
- Bill Bryson
- Dave Barry
Lists of Publications for Submitting Your Work:
- Duotrope — this is one unbelievable site! Writers can search for markets by categories, and for a fee, the service will track your submissions for you! To read the blog post that had me at hello, click here
- Freelance Writing — Includes lists organized by category, like “Women” or “Education”
- The Write Life
- The Renegade Writer
- And don’t forget just rolling up your shirtsleeves and searching the Internet! There is a lot out there!
Resources for Advice, Marketing, Grants, etc:
Posts (from this website) about Writing:
- The Query Letter — on writing these useful “please-let-me-write-for-you” letters
- Two More Writing Hurdles Down — on establishing online writing groups
- Hairless Barbies and Other Mistakes — on writing nonfiction without hurting people’s feelings
- The Worst Kind of Rejection — on (duh) rejection letters
- No Fear and How to Handle Rejections — on not giving up as a writer, even when the results are invisible!
- You’re Not the Boss of Me — on making decisions about what to work on and whether or not to write for free
- Take Your Time — on discovering your writing platform
- Real Authors Welcome Conflict — on writing opinion pieces
- I’m Sorry, But I Have “Teacher’s Block” — on treating writing like a job