Right now, I’m querying agents for my first novel, which I finished in fall of 2016. In Things That Were Lost, a 65,000-word YA that blends a contemporary setting with the slightly magical, Brook is satisfied with her life, until a crow delivers a locket that leads her to question all she knows about herself, friendship, and the crows themselves.
I’m also revising my second novel, which as of right now is creatively titled Current Novel Trajectory Two. This YA novel feels contemporary but is set in the future; in it, six teens navigate a racially divided future that forces them to decide where their allegiances lie–and what they’re willing to risk.
I literally think about these two books every single day, and can’t wait to share them with you!
Because I’ve made the leap to being a novelist, I’m not writing many essays or poems these days. However, here’s a list of my published shorter pieces.
- “Top Secret Diets” at The Higgs Weldon.
- “Plus, It’s a Lie” at Mothers Always Write.
- “Plums in August” at The Plum Tree Tavern.
- “Making Peace with Sponge Bob” at Mothers Always Write, which reviewer Caitlin Stobie of The Review Review described as “a quietly funny post on body image issues after childbirth”. (You can read her piece, a review of Mothers Always Write, here.)
- “Christmas in Japan” at Eunoia Review.
- “Real Boys Wear Dresses” at Mamapedia.
- “I Hate Babies” at Hipmamazine.
- “What to Read When You’re Expecting: Pick Your Pregnancy Book Personality” at Parent Map.
- “On Quitting My Job” at Mothers Always Write.
- “Two Short Weeks” at Page & Spine.
- “Nine Billion Hotdogs” at Literary Mama.
- “At Least My Bathroom Has a Wall” in Funny Times.
- “This is what I know of regret” in Beechwood Review. (If you’d like, you can purchase copies of this edition here.)
- “Waiting for a Leader” in Primary Treasure.
- “Angus Teaches Mommy to Forgive” in Our Little Friend (part of Primary Treasure).
- “From Mother to Daughter” at Mothers Always Write.
- “When the Tide Comes in” at The Phoenix Soul.
- “This Essay is Worth a Thousand Dollars” at Sammiches and Psych Meds.
- “On a Rainy Day, Mexican Hot Chocolate” at Page and Spine.
- “Earplugs Make Good Neighbors” in Funny Times.
- “Letting Go of Water Birth” at Mothers Always Write.
- “Congratulations! You’re a Woman Now!” at Mothers Always Write.
- “My Parents Sleep Naked” in Funny Times.
- “The Truth about Babies (Finally)” in Funny Times (reprint; originally “I Hate Babies” at Hipmamazine).